Brighton Fertility Associates
Hove, United Kingdom
Are you looking to make a change in 2022? Brighton Fertility Associates (BFA) is a small and friendly centre located on the lively and sunny south coast in Hove. We need an enthusiastic Biomedical Scientist with experience or some training, who is meticulous and can adapt to the many challenges of clinical work. The post is full time (40hrs per week) although part –time positions will be considered. Hours will be flexible, and the staff member will be required to participate in a rota which will contain occasional evening or weekend working to facilitate donors and patients. BFA actively encourages and supports all staff with their CPD with provision of training courses and help staff to expand their roles. The Company is expanding together with its partner the Seattle Sperm Bank and has exciting new ventures being planned so this is a great opportunity to be involved in rewarding work.
The role is varied and no day will be the same. The main responsibilities of this role are coordination of donors, freezing donor sperm and preparation of sperm samples for freezing. The role will include a great deal of communication with donors themselves, other licensed centres, public, healthcare professionals and patient enquiries, therefore good organisation and customer service skills are essential. Experience is desirable although full training will be given.
Key responsibilities of this role include: (but not limited to)
- To perform semen analysis, preparation and cryopreservation where necessary, to a consistent high standard and recommended guidelines.
- To perform donor sperm freezing and donor bank management tasks i.e. audit, reviews,
- Monitoring nitrogen delivery and maintenance of liquid nitrogen tanks,
- To maintain good communications with consultants, nurses and patients for the transfer of samples to other licensed centres.
- To maintain accurate donor pregnancy results to manage 10 family rule and import regulations
- To help the PR with implementing new import regulations
- To maintain accurate records of all procedures on a computer database and in laboratory records.
- To assist the Patient Services Manager with the coordination of deliveries of donor samples which may include booking specialist couriers and sending results to other centres.
- To ensure that accurate records are maintained of all gametes at all stages whether during treatment or when cryopreserved.
- To ensure that consumable stock and other laboratory equipment is maintained.
- To maintain accurate records for all stored gametes and embryos and to be involved in initiating storage invoices.
- To ensure that H&S and COSHH records are maintained.
- To assist with coordination of laboratory maintenance and organisation of equipment service contracts
- To maintain a clean and tidy laboratory to comply with air quality requirements
- To assist with interviews of potential donors and review of the consent forms and HFEA compliance
- To assist with donor recruitment strategies and be involved in some teaching and public information meetings.
- To assist with social media contacts and advertising.
- To help the PR prepare for regulatory inspection with writing of SOP, audits and updates when required.
A very competitive salary according to experience will be offered with a three month probationary period for the contract. BFA actively encourages and supports all staff with their CPD with provision of training courses. Expansion of the role will be encouraged for those with existing training.
Please send a letter of application with your cv. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
• Some manual handling will be required to top up nitrogen tanks
• Have a good understanding of HFEA requirements
• Experience in a fertility laboratory environment is a bonus but not essential
• Good communication skills and customer focus
•Able to prioritise their own workload
• Meticulous and attentive to detail
• Able to solve problems and work to deadlines
||Education Required: Life science degree
||Competitive and according to experience
||29 July 2022