Job title: Laboratory technician
Location – Oxford, UK
Salary: GBP 20,000-25,000 gross per annum
Full time position - 40 hours per week Monday to Friday
JunoGenetics is a UK company which is part of IVI-RMA Global. The post holder will be a member of a team performing clinical diagnostics related to various aspects of Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT). He/she will ensure that PGT tests are performed accurately and efficiently, and that results are generated and reported in a timely manner. This will include the investigation and analysis of samples using a variety of molecular biology and cytogenetics techniques.
The post holder will need to be flexible with his/her working hours, as the post may require some evening, or weekend work.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate a strong background in genetics as well as practical experience with a range of laboratory techniques. Although part of a team, they will be given a high degree of autonomy and should therefore have the capacity to work independently.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Participate in all areas of wet laboratory work, whilst adhering to standard operating procedures and participating in their regular review and update.
- Multidisciplinary working as required
- Communicate patients’ results and answer enquiries from health care professionals, providing information regarding appropriate investigations required and explanation of results, within departmental guidelines and professional code of conduct.
- Interpret clinical information and use scientific knowledge to process specimens for appropriate tests, seeking advice from senior staff and clinicians when necessary.
- Undertake specimen preparation and analysis for a range of sample types.
- Operate and maintain analytical equipment in the laboratory.
- Evaluate and monitor the accuracy and precision of laboratory investigations using appropriate quality control procedures.
- Review, prepare and send reports that have been authorised
- Replace stocks of consumables and reagents when required and inform the Section Leader if back-up stocks are low.
- To assist when required in the preparation of documentation for UKAS (ISO) accreditation.
- To solve complex problems within work area, and advise both clinicians and senior staff of any clinical and managerial issues
Essential skills, qualifications and experience:
- BSc/MSc in Biology/Molecular Biology a related subject, together with relevant experience
- Theoretical and practical knowledge in the discipline of genetics relevant to role.
- Practical experience with one or more of the key technologies such as DNA amplification techniques (e.g. PCR and whole genome amplification); molecular and cytogenetic analysis of minute samples (e.g. single cells); next generation sequencing etc.
- Good organisational skills. Work accurately, neatly and efficiently. Attention to detail is very important. Work as part of a team.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Work on own initiative and communicate efficiently with other members of the laboratory in English - both verbally and in writing.
- Use of laboratory equipment relevant to the specialty
- Demonstrable experience of working to a laboratory Quality Management System.
- Previous experience in a relevant laboratory, and proficiency in techniques appropriate to the discipline
- Experience and understanding of reproductive genetics
- Spanish language
Closing date: 22 October 2019