Present University College London
MSc Reproductive Science and Women’s Health
2015 – 2018 University of Birmingham
BSc Biochemistry: 1st
2007 – 2014 Prior Park College, Bath
A-levels: Biology A, Chemistry A, Geography A
AS-level: Maths A
GCSEs: 11 at grade A*
June 2018 – September 2018 Bath Fertility
- Undertook a 3-month internship at Bath Fertility.
- Trained to carry out the daily semen analyses and report this data onto IDEAs for GPs which required time management to ensure motility of samples was assessed within 60 minutes.
- Gained experience in other laboratory procedures including sperm freezing and using the ICSI rig.
- Worked on reception as the first point of contact when patients entered the clinic and registered new patients on IDEAs.
June 2015 – August 2017 The Bear Pad, Bath
- Worked as a café team member.
- Roles involved preparing hot and cold drinks, taking orders from customers, working on the till, clearing tables, preparing food such as sandwiches, serving cakes, cashing up and closing the café.
- Team work was essential to make sure customers received the correct orders quickly.
- Communication skills were key in order to address customers and ensure a high level of customer service was given at all times.
- Required organisational skills to be able to cash up correctly and keep track of the day’s earnings.
- Excellent time management skills required to ensure the café was cleaned and closed on time everyday.
September 2014 –February 2015 Coral Quay Fairtrade, Bath
- Worked as a café team member.
- Often played a key role in training new staff members which required excellent communication skills.
- Helped with the ordering of stock which required organisation at all times to ensure the correct produce was ordered on time.
September 2017 Centre for Reproductive Medicine, University Hospitals Coventry
- Spent time with the embryologists in the fertility laboratories.
- Watched egg collections as well as embryo freezing, ICSI procedures, time-lapse monitoring and sperm preparation.
- Confirmed my passion for a career in embryology.
August 2017 Navy Hospital, Pula
- Spent two weeks in the department of transfusional medicine.
- Learnt about many laboratory techniques used for determination of blood type, immunohematology tests and tests for blood coagulation including prothrombin time, activated thromboplastin time and thrombin time.
- Learnt about the importance of external, internal and entrance quality control to maintain the highest standard of laboratory practice.
- Confirmed my desire to work in a laboratory in a clinical environment.
August 2016 Royal United Hospital, Bath
- Spent time shadowing a consultant biochemist learning about how to interpret data from patient’s samples and use these to diagnose disease.
- Spent time in the laboratory gaining an insight into the machines and tests used to analyse patient’s samples.
- Strengthened my interest in working in a professional laboratory.
September 2013 Pharmacy department, BMI Bath Clinic
- Spent time with the pharmacy department of a hospital in Bath, in particular learning about the preparation and administration of chemotherapeutic agents.
- Sorted through prescriptions for patients which required organisational skills.
- Went around the wards visiting patients and checking on the success of their treatments which required interpersonal skills.
June 2013 Pathology laboratory, Southmead hospital
- Spent time in the laboratory learning about the procedures used to diagnose microbial disease.
- Gained a better insight into how laboratory research leads to beneficial outcomes for patients.
Awards and Achievements
Awarded this prize by the University of Birmingham for the student who achieved the most outstanding overall performance on the Biochemistry programme.
- Silver Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme
A tough physical challenge which required organisation and team work and improved fitness and stamina. Mapped the daily routes that would be taken and worked as a team to ensure the routes were completed within the time given.
Positions of responsibility
Organised events for the house including dinners and concerts as well as speaking to students to raise any issues that might arise within the house.
Independently coached a group of 16-year-olds in P.E lessons at school. Organisational and time management skills were key when ensuring all activities could be completed within a given session. Also needed excellent communication skills to give clear instructions on the drills.
Lead one-hour teaching sessions per week for 22 weeks, teaching 8-10 students as a Peer Assisted Study Session (PASS) leader. This involved organisational skills to plan sessions each week and excellent communication skills to deliver sessions and ensure students gained an improved understanding of the topics covered.