Complete Fertility LTD Southampton
Job title: Ultrasonographer
Grade: Band 7
Accountable to: Medical Director and Clinical Operations Manager
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week plus out of hours duties by arrangement
This is a new post designed to work alongside the clinicians and specialist fertility nurses at Complete Fertility Centre Southampton (CFC).
To provide a high quality and effective ultrasound scanning service for patients accessing reproductive medicine services.
The post holder will play a key role in supervising and training all clinical staff that provide the ultrasound scanning service ensuring that the highest possible technical and professional standards are achieved and maintained. They will take a lead in developing scanning protocols and auditing the quality of scanning reports produced by CFC. The scanning provided by the centre includes baseline gynaecology scanning to assess for pelvic pathology, follicle tracking for ovulation induction and superovulation for IVF, assessment of tubal patency by hysterocontrastsonography (HyCoSy), early pregnancy scanning and assessment of fibroids. It is expected that the post-holder will be dynamic with excellent communication skills and be able to communicate the results of scans to patients sensitively and with empathy.
They will also take on the responsibility for the ultrasound training of new staff in CFC, to monitor their progress ensuring that they continue to develop their skills, take a proactive role in the operational duties of the whole department, and to visualise and plan for future service requirements. There is scope for the postholder to be part of and initiate research projects.
- To be responsible for the daily organisation and examination consistency for all ultrasounds carried out at CFC.
- To undertake ultrasound examinations and provide a detailed diagnostic report as required.
- To maintain and promote high professional standards ensuring that imaging referrals are evaluated and prioritised according to departmental protocol, and that service requirements are met in line with clinical urgency.
- To input data into the IDEAS fertility system and any other appropriate systems.
- Ability to offer expert clinical opinion on a range of ultrasound procedures.
- To supervise students within the fertility centre.
- To actively strive towards improving the patient experience at CFC.
- To liaise with manufacturers concerning faults and maintenance service dates and to ensure accurate records are well documented and kept.
- To oversee the ordering of relevant ultrasound supplies used within CFC.
- To participate in the transfer of patients and equipment within the department and the hospital where required and according to current manual handling guidelines.
- To ensure that regular and required Quality Assurance of all equipment is carried out and monitored.
- To promote effective communication amongst all groups of people that benefit from and use Complete Fertility’s ultrasound service.
- To liase with other departments/wards within the hospital and various external sources in order to provide a quality service to patients and clinicians.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the needs of individual team members and give support and guidance where necessary.
- To be involved in recruitment and selection of staff at appropriate levels and to participate in the appraisal of staff.
- Participate in departmental meetings and in meeting related to the ongoing review and evaluation of the service.
- To lead by example in the promotion of clinical excellence in both professional and technical standards.
- To develop quarterly patient and technically focussed audits, providing figures where required.
- To develop awareness of the strategic development of Complete Fertility Centre Southampton.
- To undertake other duties as and when required by the demands of the service, or by the Clinical Operations Manager, Clinic Director or Medical Director.
Training and development:
- To develop an ultrasound induction programme for new Complete Fertility staff and to monitor their progress, development and competency ensuring that acceptable standards are established, documented and maintained.
- To actively participate in the training and education of all ultrasound students and visitors working in Complete Fertility Centre.
- To establish systems of work that are constantly evaluated to ensure that competency can be measured and proven, including the evaluation of scanning competency of existing Complete Fertility staff.
- To become involved in presenting case study reviews to other staff.
- To ensure all Health & Safety and COSHH regulations are adhered to and relevant records are kept.
- To ensure practice is consistent with the Code of Practice of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority and strict patient confidentiality is maintained at all times.
Terms and Conditions of Employment:
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and this means that any criminal conviction must be made known at the time of the application.
Review of this Job Description:
This job description is intended as an outline of the general areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation and would be reviewed in conjunction with the post holder.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £33,222.00 to £43,041.00 /year