Education & Qualifications
2019 – Present MSc Reproductive Biology and Development, Imperial College London
( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/ )
2016 – 2019 BSc Biomedical Science, Durham University
2013 – 2016 A Levels & GCSEs, Queen Ethelburga’s College, York UK
Edexcel BTEC Science level 3 Subsidiary Diploma,
A level: Mathematics, Russian
GCSE: a range of subjects including English and Maths
Responsibilities: full-time school job of Pastoral Prefect in year 13, taken part in every Open Day and Assembly of the school throughout the year.
Protein Analysis: Protein purification, ELISA, SDS-PHAGE electrophoresis, Protein isolation & separation, Western Blots.
Data Analysis: SPSS, Excel, ImageJ (Fiji).
Nucleic Acid Analysis: RNA, DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, Agarose gel electrophoresis.
Other: Health & Safety training, Immunology techniques, Aseptic techniques, Handling Drosophila.
- Russian – native
- English – native
- Spanish – advanced
- French – basic
Work Experience and Responsibilities
Igenomix laboratories S.L. Valencia - July - August, 2016 – Summer Internship Training
Present Certificate of Completion (https://www.igenomix.co.uk/)
Dr Diana Valbuena – Medical Manager Igenomix (Supervisor)
- Conducting experiments to contribute to the project titled “Evidence that the endometrial microbiota has an effect on implantation success or failure” (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2016.09.075 )
- Assisting laboratory technicians and research leaders (perform experiments, handle data and equipment etc)
- Maintaining a professional laboratory working environment
- Working in a team of professionals, including Carlos Simon – the founder of the Igenomix and other world leading fertility services. (https://ivi-fertility.com/specialists/carlos-simon/ )
Key techniques practiced: PCR analysis, Antibody-Staining, Fluorescent Microscopy, ICSI practice (mice embryos) using inverted microscope, use of autoclave, statistical tests using SPSS, DNA and RNA extraction and other.
Biosciences Department Durham, UK - 9th July – 31st August, 2018 - Summer Internship
Dr Rebecca Clark – Supervisor
- Working independently on a project ‘Investigation into 3 types of sugars in the Drosophila Fly diet and their effect on the lifespan’ – Sucrose, Dextrose and Fructose.
- Working as a part of a team of professional scientists, having weekly meetings
- Testing and comparing different sugars with different yeast concentrations
- Conducting ‘Feeding Assays’ and ‘Lifespan Counts’, analysing results and drawing conclusions
Main techniques practiced: basic fly work, food preparation and handling, collecting samples for DNA, qPCR to test for bacterial genomes, RNA and qPCR to test for gut inflammation, feeding assays, lifespan counts and statistical analysis.
Other roles and responsibilities:
One Clean Meter – March 2015 – Present – Founder (https://www.facebook.com/onecleanmeter)
- Established a global environmental project, managing all activities on Facebook and Instagram
- Hosting and collaborating in a large number of events: clean-ups, workshops, volunteering, environmental conferences, community days
- Received two awards from Durham University Volunteering in June 2019: “Outstanding new project award”, “Finalist Award”
- In July 2019, hosted an environmental day at the Bradbury Care House in Crook
Unite Students Durham, UK - June 2018 – June 2019 - Student Ambassador & Green Impact Consultant Part-Time Job
- Organising and running a range of social events around the campus
- Assisting reception staff with check-ins and check-outs, working as a tour-guide
- Taking a leading initiative with student events in ‘Elvet Studios’ accommodation
Key skills developed: communication, organisation, time management, cultural awareness, health & safety, teamwork, flexibility and adaptability, leadership, motivation, creativity and planning.
Durham University Polo Club - June 2018 – March 2019 - Social Secretary
- Leading and organising all social events in the DUPC 2018/19
- Taking leading initiative in planning, organising and running the events
The Dellar Family, Durham UK - June 2018 – August 2019 - Babysitting
- Care for 3 children: 4-year-old girl, 6-year-old boy and 1-year-old boy every Friday of the month, 5-7pm and some longer sessions when required
- Playing, reading, feeding and coordinating bedtime preparation as well as putting children to bed when needed
- Going on days out with children and family to assist when needed
Member of the “Royal Society of Biology”, “The Genetics Society”, “British Fertility Society”, “British Ecological Society”. Volunteering in Costa Rica – “Tortuga Feliz”
References are available upon request
Contact: [email protected]