Brighton Fertility Associates (BFA) is a small and friendly centre located on the sunny south coast at Brighton Seafront. This exciting role is for a Biomedical Scientist with experience in andrology work who is meticulous and a team player and can adapt to the many challenges of clinical work. The post is full time (37.5hrs per week) although part –time positions will be considered. Hours will be flexible and the staff member will be required to participate in a rota which will contain evening working to facilitate donors and occasional weekend work. BFA actively encourages and supports all staff with their CPD with provision of training courses where appropriate. The Company is expanding and has exciting new ventures being planned.
The role is varied and rewarding and no day will be the same. The main responsibilities of this role are coordination of donors, freezing donor sperm and preparation of sperm samples for freezing and IUI treatments. The role will include a great deal of communication with donors themselves, other licensed centres, public, healthcare professionals and patient enquiries, therefore good communication skills are essential.
Duties of this role include: (but not limited to)
- To perform semen analysis, preparation and cryopreservation where necessary, to a consistent high standard and recommended guidelines.
- To perform donor sperm freezing and donor bank management tasks i.e. audit, reviews, maintenance of liquid nitrogen,
- To maintain good communications with consultants, nurses and patients for the transfer of samples to other licensed centres.
- To maintain accurate donor pregnancy results to manage 10 family rule and import regulations
- To maintain accurate records of all procedures on a computer database and in laboratory records.
- To assist the Patient Services Manager with the coordination of deliveries of donor samples which may include booking specialist couriers and sending results to other centres.
- To ensure that accurate records are maintained of all gametes at all stages whether during treatment or when cryopreserved.
- To ensure that consumable stock and other laboratory equipment is maintained.
- To maintain accurate records for all stored gametes and embryos and to be involved in initiating storage invoices.
- To ensure that H&S and COSHH records are maintained.
- To assist with coordination of laboratory maintenance and organisation of equipment service contracts and visits.
- To maintain a clean and tidy laboratory to comply with air quality requirements
- To assist with Donor Insemination procedures for BFA clients
- To assist with interviews of potential donors and review of the consent forms and HFEA compliance
- To assist with donor recruitment strategies and be involved in some teaching and public information meetings.
- To help build new relationships with Macmillan Cancer services and the CCG.
- To assist with social media contacts and advertising.
To help the PR prepare for regulatory inspection with writing of SOP and updates where required.