Sidra Medicine is a state-of-the-art facility committed to providing women and children in Doha, Qatar with world-class tertiary healthcare services.
With over 4000 staff representing 93 different nationalities our work culture is built on trust, care, teamwork, efficiency, innovation and transparency. These shared values drive our success and enable us to deliver outstanding care.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Reproductive Medicine department laboratory for a motivated individual to fill the role of Andrologist!
The Andrologist is based in Sidra’s newly commissioned Reproductive Medicine department laboratory, and assists in the operational implementation of the new department with a particular focus on all Andrology related activities. His/her responsibility includes the day-to-day running of the Andrology service as a part of the ART laboratory.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and attributes:
- Be extremely detail-oriented, communicate clearly, have the ability to multi-task and have sound organizational skills.
- Ability to process semen for ART procedures and intrauterine inseminations (IUIs). Recovery of motile sperm from normospermic specimens using selective methods (i.e., density gradient.
- Performing semen cryopreservation.
- Performing tests for immunological infertility caused by antibody coating of sperm.
- Performing sperm function tests offered by andrology lab including sperm survival.
- Referring specimens to outside laboratories when required.
- Be responsible for monitoring laboratory standards.
- Coordination and ultimately responsible for conducting daily analysis of laboratory activities, monitoring of quality control on a daily basis.
- Sharing teaching experience and an aptitude for mentoring of colleagues, fostering professional development goals of individuals within his/her remit and promoting the success of the unit as a world class facility.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provides recommendations for treatment based on results of the andrology diagnostic service.
- Performs andrology diagnostics: basic, automated and advanced semen analyses.
- Conducts full WHO/ESHRE semen analysis, including the sperm morphology teratozoospermia index (TZI) assessed on a permanent stained smear and cytochemical assessment for peroxidase-positive leucocytes.
- Performs a screen for sperm head-directed antisperm antibodies (ASABs) using the sperMAR IgG and IgA tests.
- Analyzes semen oxidation/reduction potential (ORP) using the MiOXSYS test to assess the risk of possible ROS damage to sperm function and/or the sperm chromatin.
- Performs trial wash using a PureSperm density gradient with quantitative and qualitative analysis of the yield.
- Analyzes the sperm hyperactivation (using CASA) on the washed sperm population incubated under capacitation conditions.
- Andrology therapeutics: Specimen processing for insemination.
- Processes the retrograde sperm for diagnostic and treatment purposes.
- Processes and prepares the surgically retrieved sperm for treatment.
- Performs semen cryopreservation.
- Maintains accurate, current cryopreservation records.
- Data input using the IDEAS database.
- Performs daily and weekly quality checks on a range of equipment such as the Heating Stages, Microscopes, Laminar Flow cabinets, and these need to be documented in the system. Traceability checks which are part of quality control will also be a requirement
- Participates in weekend schedule in co-ordination with other disciplines.
- Locates new equipment into correct designated areas, arranges the installation and commissioning of equipment.
- Ensures equipment functioning by following operating instructions.
- Documents information by maintaining daily logs.
- Trains colleagues in the correct and safe use of Andrology related equipment and demonstrates procedures.
- Works with the lab manager to proactively order supplies and ensures that the Andrology laboratory is well-stocked and resourced.
- Follows strict safety procedures/ safety checks and ensures compliance with Sidra and departmental safety policy.
- Adheres to Sidra’s standards as they appear in the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies
- Adheres to and promotes Sidra’s Values
- Bachelors' degree in biological or life sciences
- 3+ years of experience in andrology laboratory providing diagnostic and therapeutic services
- Current registration and clinical license
Compensation & Benefits:
In addition to a competitive, tax free basic salary, employee benefits include:
- Housing (based on the housing policy)
- Transportation Allowance
- Airfare Allowance – (1 return flight for yourself to your point of origin per year)
- Life Insurance
- Health Insurance
- A one-off Relocation and Repatriation Allowance
- End of Service Gratuity
- 30 Working days annual leave per annum
- 2 Public Holidays and approximately 10 days Eid break per annum
For a detailed job description or to apply for the role please click on the below link:
For information about Sidra please visit our website: https://www.sidra.org